We're Kay and Marc, the couple behind Sugar Noms!
We're both passionately vegan and have been for many years. We are vegan for the animals not so much for health - hence the sweet and chocolate obsession!
Marc had lost his job and Kay was forced to work solely online with clients during lockdown back in May 2020, leaving us loads more time to dedicate to the business Kay had dreamed of starting for years.
And that's how Sugar Noms got started...During lockdown 1.0 in May 2020
Both of us are back working full-time now but that doesn't stop us growing Sugar Noms too. We work bloody hard juggling everything but we just wouldn't have it any other way!
We're really passionate about us vegans enjoying life!
We believe that we shouldn't have to miss out on treats and fun just because we're choosing to live a life less cruel - we shouldn't have to compromise or miss out on anything!
This goes for veggies and allergy sufferers too!
We do all the label checking, contact manufacturers and work out what's really behind those 'flavourings' and 'e numbers' that often hide animal ingredients.
We offer our customers total peace of mind and stress free shopping!
We also see Sugar Noms as a subtle bit of what we like to call 'SNACKTIVISM' - showing omnivores, flexitarians and die hard meat lovers (we were once this too!!) that they don't have to miss out when choosing a cruelty free, ethical and eco-lifestyle. We're proud to say we've helped lots of people go vegan!
A little timeline of our Sugar Noms adventure so far....
- May 2020 during 1st Lockdown we started Sugar Noms from our spare bedroom.
- May 2020 we registered with Vegan Traders Union as a Vegan Founded business.
- June 2020 Kay won a small start-up grant and a years worth of mentoring from Enterprise Place, Sunderland University for her Sugar Noms vision.
- July 2020 we outgrew our spare room and moved into our first office at The Innovation Centre in Redcar.
- November 2020 Kay won a life-changing grant and another package of business support from a 'Dragons Den' style competition at Enterprise Place.
- January 2021 Sugar Noms becomes a Limited company with Kay listed as the sole Founder Director - However, this doesn't make us any less of a small vegan family business however, it's still just us!
- January 2021 Kays sister Natalie (also Vegan) starts helping out as a part-time VA for Sugar Noms
- February 2021 Sugar Noms moves to an even bigger premises within The Innovation Centre.
- February 2021 We get rid of all our plastic pouches and packaging and begin using 100% plantbased bags which are compostable too.
- March 2021 Kay is chosen to represent Sunderland University with Sugar Noms in the National Santander X Entrepreneurship Awards 2021, ending in October 2021.
- May 2021 Sugar Noms celebrates it's 1st Birthday in style (with a massive cake and everything!)
- June 2021 Sugar Noms partners with Carbon Click to help customers offset the Carbon from their order.
- July 2021 Choccy Noms are in product development stages!
- July 2021 Sugar Noms wins Vegan Sweetshop of the Year 2021/2022 in the Yorkshire Prestige Awards.
- August 2021 Sugar Noms leaves The Innovation Centre and moves to the super-creative Palace Hub on Redcar Sea Front.
- August 2021 Kay nominated for 'Best Newcomer' Tees Business Woman Awards.
- August 2021 Sugar Noms supplied sweets to the Vegan Campouts Family Marquee. It's the biggest Vegan Festival in the UK!
- September 2021 Kay shortlisted as a finalist for 'Best Newcomer' Tees Business Woman Awards.
- September 2021 Sugar Noms attended Festival of Thrift with a full pick & mix stall. Over 50,000 visitors celebrated sustainability and eco-living.
- October 2021 Kay competed at the Santander X Entrenpreneurship Live Awards 2021 and made it all the way through to the penultimate round of pitches in the Semi Final.
- October 2021 Sugar Noms is shortlisted as a category finalist for 'Best New Retail Business' in the Tees New Business Awards.
- November 2021 Kay collected 'Vegan Sweet Shop of the Year' Award at the beautiful Hazelwood Castle.
- January 2022 Sugar Noms wins Lux Global Vegan Awards 'Most Authentic Vegan Sweet Shop'
- March 2022 Kay won the Inspiring Women Awards 2022 'Women in Business' Award
- March/April 2022 Kay appeared live on Radio BBC Tees Breakfast Show and also Zetland FM's Morning Show, discussing all things business.
- May 2022 Sugar Noms Celebrates 2nd Birthday with a Studio Pop-Up Party!
- June/July 2022 - WATCH THIS SPACE FOR A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
Sugar Noms is our total breath of fresh air - the rainbows and sparkles really helped us cope with everything Covid and 2020 threw at us. We lost loved ones, beloved pets, jobs and at times what felt like our sanity!
Sugar Noms continues to be a source of fun, joy and total escapism for us and hopefully all our wonderful customers too!
If you'd like to visit us at one of our events, follow our social media to stay updated on when and where we'll be popping up next!
You can follow us on Instagram and Facebook @SugarNomsUK and also check out our foodie page on Insta @the_vegan_snactivist where we shop, eat out, cook and showcase our vegan finds!
So, we hope you've enjoyed learning a little bit about us. Stay well lovely peeps!
Rainbow wishes and unicorn kisses,
Kay & Marc x
This was a picture taken for some press coverage about us during lockdown. We were featured in local and national newspapers and online. Oo-er get us!!
Some of the press coverage we've received:
Teesside Gazette 2020
Sunderland Uni 2021
Tees Business: Inspiring Womens Awards 2022
We've also been featured on Youtube, live on stage at some business events and in several podcasts! We're extremely grateful to all the wonderful Vegans that have supported our little business so far!
If you'd like to feature Sugar Noms or work with us for your blog, on social media or have us come along to your event, please get in touch!
Just e-mail Kay at firstname.lastname@example.org