We're Kay and Marc, the couple behind Sugar Noms.
We're both vegans and have been for several years. We are vegan for the animals not so much for health - hence the sweet and chocolate obsession!
We're really passionate about vegans enjoying life! We believe that we shouldn't have to miss out on treats and fun just because we're choosing to live a life less cruel - we shouldn't have to compromise or miss out on anything!
And that's how Sugar Noms got started...During lockdown 1.0 in May 2020.
Marc had lost his job and Kay was forced to work solely online with clients, leaving us loads more time to dedicate to the business Kay had dreamed of starting for years.
Both of us are back working full-time now but that doesn't stop us growing Sugar Noms in our spare moments too. We work bloody hard juggling everything but we just wouldn't have it any other way!
A little timeline of our Sugar Noms adventure so far....
- May 2020 during 1st Lockdown we started Sugar Noms from our spare bedroom.
- May 2020 we registered with Vegan Traders Union as a Vegan Founded business.
- June 2020 Kay won a small start-up grant and a years worth of mentoring from Enterprise Place, Sunderland University for her Sugar Noms vision.
- July 2020 we outgrew our spare room and moved into our first office at The Innovation Centre in Redcar.
- November 2020 Kay won a life-changing grant and another package of business support from a 'Dragons Den' style competition at Enterprise Place.
- January 2021 Sugar Noms becomes a Limited company with Kay listed as the sole Founder Director - However, this doesn't make us any less of a small vegan family business however, it's still just us!
- January 2021 Kays sister Natalie (also Vegan) starts helping out as a part-time VA for Sugar Noms
- February 2021 Sugar Noms moves to an even bigger premises within The Innovation Centre.
- February 2021 We get rid of all our plastic pouches and packaging and begin using 100% plantbased bags which are compostable too.
- March 2021 Kay is chosen to represent Sunderland University with Sugar Noms in the National Santander X Entrepreneurship Awards 2021, ending in October 2021.
- May 2021 Sugar Noms celebrates it's 1st Birthday in style (with a massive cake and everything!)
- June 2021 Sugar Noms partners with Carbon Click to help customers offset the Carbon from their order.
- July 2021 Choccy Noms are in product development stages!
- July 2021 Sugar Noms wins Vegan Sweetshop of the Year 2021/2022 in the Yorkshire Prestige Awards.
- August 2021 Sugar Noms leaves The Innovation Centre and moves to the super-creative Palace Hub on Redcar Sea Front.
- August 2021 Kay nominated for 'Best Newcomer' Tees Business Woman Awards.
- August 2021 Kay shortlisted as a finalist for 'Best Newcomer' Tees Business Woman Awards.
- August 2021 Sugar Noms supplied sweets to the Vegan Campouts Family Marquee. It's the biggest Vegan Festival in the UK!
Sugar Noms is our total breath of fresh air - the rainbows and sparkles really helped us cope with everything Corona and 2020 threw at us. We lost loved ones, beloved pets, jobs and at times what felt like our sanity!
Sugar Noms continues to be a source of fun, joy and total escapism for us and hopefully all our wonderful customers too!
If you'd like to visit us at one of our events or pop-ups, please have a look here for upcoming dates we have planned! EVENTS PAGE
So, we hope you've enjoyed learning a little bit about us. Stay well lovely peeps!
Kay & Marc x
This was a picture taken for some press coverage about us during lockdown. We were featured in local and national newspapers and online. Oo-er get us!!
The room looks completely different to this now but we just had to share with you how it did look...
Some of the press coverage we've received:
We've also been featured on Youtube and are extremely grateful to all the wonderful Vegans that have supported our little business!
If you'd like to feature Sugar Noms or work with us for your blog, on social media or have us come along to your event, please get in touch!
Just e-mail Kay at firstname.lastname@example.org